Free Dream Symbols: House | Doug Addison

Free Dream Symbols: House

Three colorful paper houses on the wooden table

Are you having dreams where the story takes place in your house? These are super common dreams. In order to understand what God is saying through these house dreams, let’s take a closer look.

Childhood Home

The most common dream people have about houses is being in their childhood home yet being their current age. This dream indicates you are either dealing with things from your childhood that are affecting you now or there could be things your family is called to do that you will be fulfilling.

Please remember that for this type of common dream, that is the basic meaning and just a generalization. Always ask God for help interpreting your dreams.

“’We both had dreams,’ they answered, ‘but there is no one to interpret them.’ Then Joseph said to them, ‘Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell me your dreams.’” Genesis 40:8 NIV

House Dream Examples

Here are a few examples of different kinds of house dreams:

• You are in a house and you discover rooms you never knew existed. This represents things in your life that you have yet to discover. These could be hidden talents, gifts or future accomplishments that are available to you.
  • A tornado is coming toward your house. This symbolizes that you are about to experience turmoil. Usually, if the tornado is white, then God is allowing this to happen.
  • You are having people over to your house and the President drops by for a visit. Because the President is symbolic of authority, it indicates that new authority is coming to you. The dream is confirmation that God is giving you new authority.

Rooms in the House

Even more than just a house, an important detail of your dream is the room of the house you are in in the dream. Here is a list of meanings to jump-start your interpretation process. This is great for beginning dream interpreters.

• House:  various aspects of your life, family, job, ministry
  • Living room: family, relational, fellowship, community, new life
  • Kitchen: place of preparation, nourishment, food
  • Bathroom: flushing, cleansing, healing
  • Hallways: transition
  • Dining room: spiritual growth, spiritual food
  • Basement: hidden, beneath the surface, foundational issues
  • Garage: rest from job or ministry, not using talents, storing up
  • Attic: the past, neglected, stored
  • Family room: community or fellowship, family oriented
  • Bedroom: intimacy, rest
  • Porch: community, recreation, leisure
  • Backyard: past, play time
  • Closet: stored away, hidden, time of personal prayer, something personal
  • Door: opportunity
  • Window: vision, insight

Context Is Important

Please know that symbols of a dream can change based on what theythe symbolsare doing. There is danger in using symbols without taking into consideration the context. You need to know context in order to figure out the symbolism.

While dreams that take place in and around your home represent some aspect of your life, you still need to notice the context. Are people there from work, school, your family or are they unfamiliar? Watch for clues.

Example of Context

You dream that you are going into a bright white closet. A closet can represent a few different things as mentioned above such as: hiding, prayer or something very personal. That is why we have to note the context. A bright white closet would most likely indicate God is calling you into a time of prayer and intimacy that will bring God’s purity and holiness.

Let’s say you dream that you are going into a closet where you find your co-worker. Again, a closet represents hiding, prayer or something very personal. In this context, a closet with your co-worker would mean that God wants you to pray for something that is happening with your job or career because your coworker is in the closet.

If you dream about a closet which leads to other rooms you never knew about, this could mean that you will discover some new gifts, callings or things you did not know about yourself previously, by spending time in prayer.

If you want to know more about your dreams, click here for more of my online training resources.

Keep dreaming!

doug-sig

P.S. Dream interpretation is something that you can actually go deeper into and get better at, the more you learn and practice and the more training you get. This is why I created the Dream Crash Course. The Dream Crash Course is a professional level dream interpretation training, but it is accessible and available to anyone. If you need to take your dream interpretation to the next level, you will want to enroll in the Dream Crash Course.

Doug Addison is a prophetic speaker, author, life coach and stand-up comedian. He is known for his Daily Prophetic Words, Spirit Connection webcast, podcast and blog. Doug’s message of love, hope and having fun reaches people around the world! His unique style of teaching and coaching helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.

28 thoughts on “Free Dream Symbols: House

1. Jan says:

I had a dream that 2 people came up to me and they both said they had a dream about me that they each gave me a house.
    thoughts?

2. Erica G says:

Doug,

I had a dream that I was visiting my grandmother but when I arrived where she lived, the area was empty. The trees were all chopped down and there were no houses like it was all demolished. What could that mean?

3. Brenda says:

I really appreciate this insight into house dreams. I’ve had several dreams in recent years in which a house (not one I’m familiar with actually) is a huge part of the dream with rooms, closets, cabinets, etc. I didn’t know were there. I learned some really great stuff from this Doug! Thank you!!

4. Kylie says:

I dream a lot about houses but never my current home. I dream of houses I’ve never seen before. I’ve had a few profound ones where Ive been seemingly moving into the new house, and taking note of every aspect of the house, all in so much detail. It’s like I can smell the air and feel the woodwork. I always have a sense of excitement and purpose in these dreams. Would love to understand why I dream like this :))

5. Bridget Truijillo says:

My husband had a dream there was a little kid with a huge head in the kitchen (an old relatives house) me and him were talking and this kid would just blurt out things and spit and disrespect him. My husband was very patient but he finally slapped the child not once but twice..the child turned into a demon and he could feel a huge fire in the kitchen behind him..he thought satan is backing this child and he screamed to the fire JESUS Jesus and the fire went down. He was very shaken and never dreams..3 days earlier our son who is in another state had a dream our garage door was open and there were people trying to still my husbands tools. We were not home but my son was very upset..

6. LaNika says:

My fiancé passed away 3 months ago. Shortly after he transitioned, I dreamed that he was moving wooden furniture out of my basement. The furniture was placed curbside and many people with trucks came to collect the furniture. Can you please help me understand this dream? Thank you!

7. argelia says:

i had a dream that I was in the back seet with a beautiful lady and I saw swirving then I saw her climbing over to take the steering wheel I felt at peace when we wreck I went up to heaven then I woke up because I had to be at work but when I woke up I felt like a feather and drunk.

8. chaz Berlusconi says:

Dreamed I was leaving somewhere and the house w as behind me.. and I was moving forward..

I think your dream house is awesome

9. Margot says:

Doug, for years, I have had dreams where, either the attic or the basement is dark and filled with evil, scary, unknown things. I usually go up many steps or down steps….as I think about it now…can still feel that fear and expectation of evil.
    I am 63 years of age, am a strong believer, am at peace with my family, life in general…yet…something seems to lurk behind the scenes. I loathe horror films…so it can’t come from watching ghastly movies. Many thanks for your insight…if you have the time. God bless you and thanks for the amazing prophecies I read! I live in South Africa, and nothing terrifying has ever happened to me.
    Warm wishes, Margot Green

10. Celine Bennett says:

Thank you so much! Very helpful! Wow! I get it! I’d like to take a minute to say May the Favour of God go ahead of you and double up your gifts and sustenance as you give out so generously!
    In Jesus name, Amen!

11. Kim says:

I dreamed that we lived in an old shack of a house and it was built on a cliff and the house next to us was old too and it was falling to pieces and was about to cause damages to our house.

• PJ says:

I believe your dream is simply saying this: there are some things in your life that have been neglected. The cliff represents a dangerous fall if not dealt with. And someone close to you has neglected things in their life as well and it’s about to affect you.

Basically, a warning dream.

12. Geri says:

For 3 nights in a row I have been dreaming about huge buildings, sometimes with hallways or doors to go through but mostly very open. In one dream, we were standing outside and it looked like a huge hospital, with a clean white exterior and I was telling some former customers that I no longer worked at my old job. That we were in the process of remodeling this hospital. There also seemed to be empty swimming pools in my dreams inside the buildings.

13. Susane Zeledon says:

I keep dreaming with snakes, I always manage to kill them but today the dream was different. For the first time I got bitten. What does this means?

14. Tom says:

I dreamed last week I was in a dark attic and a fire started in a cubby hole. I ran down toy wife who had earphones on soaking yelling call,call, call.

I know you are so busy and so many comments to interrupt but I am praying as it seems urgent.

15. Sonya Kettler says:

I had a dream of a rectangle in shape Barnwood framed chalkboard and on it what was written said “Expecting Wait”.

16. Pingback: Doug Addison – Dream symbols – houses | Samuel Company Mark 2

17. Gulli Singh says:

Hello
    I am unabel to understand this dream, so I searched the web and found you.
    I see an apartment with six rectangular rooms in a row. they are spacious and well furnished. contains living area, bed rooms dining room kitchen and well furnished bathroom, There even are coppbords wich have utensils in six or more, like strainer, boxes and small jugs. The washing machin is a very morden thing with a folded mash to fill it well with all the cups.I even find pasta and a recipe of a souce of meat and spinech in cream. I see my brother and a cousin.

• Admin Pam says:

The best way to begin to interpret dreams is to write them down in journal, online or in a notebook. You will notice that God will repeat symbols in your dreams. As you see them unfold in your life, you can write down what the symbols mean in your dream. Remember that context is super important for understanding what symbols mean.

Here is a place where Doug has listed resources to help you learn your night dreams:

18. Gulli Singh says:

Hello again,
    Yes I usually are abel to decode my dreams myself but this house one was a bit different. But now I am in the timeperiod that when I read it again I understand its meaning and it gives me solace and hope for the future..

In my dream I usually plant seeds or nurture plants. see a lot of floweres in white. Water. rivers and many more intresting things. Like magically appearing railway track in air so that I can travel stright upp on another level.