How to Stay Steady in the Wind: Divine New Focus | Doug Addison

How to Stay Steady in the Wind: Divine New Focus

How to Stay Steady in theSailing regatta, during sunset. Wind: Divine New Focus

When I received an angelic visitation in 1991, God spoke to me about a radical change coming in the area of marriages, relationships, ministries and business partnerships. During my spiritual encounter I was directed to look in the Bible at 1 Corinthians chapter seven which deals with marriage and related issues. One area of this chapter that stood out was verses 29–31.

What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away. (1 Corinthians 7:29–31 NIV)

The Apostle Paul writes, “since the time is short.” At first sight most people would think that he was referring to the second coming of Christ and that we need to be prepared. A deeper look at the actual Greek text reveals that “since the time is short” is translated from the Greek word sunestalmenos, which is a common word used in sailing. It means to furl or contract a sail in order to withstand high winds and remain stable. Furling prevents a boat from capsizing or damaging the sails.

Another way to look at this verse is in the context of the entire chapter as it pertains to marriage where Paul is encouraging us to narrow our focus to prevent shipwreck. Narrowing our focus means to not get distracted from the things that God calls us to accomplish. Another way to look at it is being single-minded.

God spoke to me specifically about these three verses and correlated them with a coming move of the Holy Spirit on the Earth. A time is coming when things will not look as they normally do. For instance, Paul writes about men having a wife and living as though they had none. This does not mean that we live as if we are single, but rather that we are able to serve God together without getting entangled in the worries of life.

Mourn as if you are not mourning, be happy as if you are not happy, buy things and not worry about owning them. This all sounds a bit contradictory but it actually means that the way things are usually done will radically change. In other words, the way we normally experience life will soon change and God is calling us to focus on His plan and purpose for our lives.

As this new focus comes, many Christians will become much more effective in their ministries and businesses during this time.

May you be encouraged as you become more and more focused on God’s goals. This is an exciting time to respond to what God is doing on the Earth.

doug-sig

Doug Addison is a prophetic dream interpreter, speaker, writer, Life Coach, and stand-up comedian. Doug travels the world bringing a message of love, hope, and having fun! His unique style helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. Doug is an award-winning author of seven books. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.

19 thoughts on “How to Stay Steady in the Wind: Divine New Focus

1. Godsgirl & Co. says:

How does this affect someone believing fir their groom promised decades ago..also ministry & book launching..as well as financial breakthrough? Is that also radically coming soon?
    Will people who are now married share same home in heaven?

2. dolly Hearns says:

thank you dough, such great encouragement, I get from you and others and from prayer and the living word of god.

3. Bobbi Kost says:

This message is very encouraging and timely! My husband is a christian counselor, but we ourselves have been really trying to repair our own marriage of almost 37 yrs! we love the Lord but seem to be worlds apart for each other. We just prayed this morning that God would help us to focus on what we need from and to give to each other. I told my husband he thinks with his head I with my heart and that God wanted us to unite together with the mind he gave us ( needing to be renewed) and the heart He connects us with Him and each other> I keep hearing and the 3 shall become one , when I hear this I see my husband myself and God! Im not trying to be disrespectful is this something that witnesses to your spirit to be something He is trying to say? please please give me your input, we are not in a church because of the complacency but we need Godly input from trusted people you are one of Mine!! Thank-you, Bobbi

4. Penny Spence says:

This word is so amazingly “on time” for me (and I’m sure so many others). It was instant revelation as I read it. Thank you Lord – thank you Doug.

5. Christy says:

As ALWAYS Doug the way The Lord uses you to speak in my life is always 100% accurate I sooo needed this piece of instruction at such a pivotal time in my life on how to remain stable THANK YOU for being faithful in your walk with God as what you hear from him so impacts and helps me stay on course because of this teaching I’ve taken off my running shoes !!

6. Maureen Dean says:

I feel so blessed to be able to connect with your teaching after all these years.
    I’m very happy I found your website it’s totally blessing me and I still remember the old days at The Vineyards and your class on Hearing the Voice of God.
    Blessings to you and Linda!
    Maureen

• DIANNE CAPPS says:

A right now word. I have been mourning, I shall continue my life as those who do not and know God has a plan that is perfect no matter how things may appear.

7. Onie Grace Lim says:

thank you so much for insights that encourages us to learn of it in biblical way……..more revelation to be unveiled. God bless you more!

8. Michelle says:

Timely word, as the storms have come lately, the Lord has taught me even more strategies to keep my head above the water.

9. Marie says:

Thank you. You are confirming exactly what He spoke to me, “I want you to focus to be, to aligned your focus or your eyes to Mine, to what I see, how I see, how I think, how I respond about things.” I received this July 5, 2014.

You are a blessing.

10. Irene ingram says:

Just right word for all that i am hearing from God. Asking Him for more understanding
    Thanks for having your word out there

11. Cheri says:

Hi Doug,
    This has been an incredible time for me. I didn’t work this summer and took 20 units which I got good grades on and I realized if I can do this I can do anything. I am almost finished my credential and I am looking into do my Master’s at SF State. I never imagined I would be where I am at today. Thanks for your encouragement.

12. wes says:

As an amateur pilot of remotely-controlled aircraft, I can readily relate to “Steady in the Wind”. I’m a little loose in the rudder spiritually, but this word is a helpful course correction. Thanks Doug.