Finding New Fruit in Your Family Tree
One important part of my 2015 prophetic word highlights the importance of family. Did you know your greatest destiny is your children? And if you don’t have biological children, this absolutely applies to your spiritual children and the people you’ve touched.
Family blessings front and center
Your generational gifting and calling will become clearer this year. God is revealing positive, hidden blessings and callings in your family tree.
The fruit I am talking about is spiritual gifts, qualities and positive things that God has given you. Often the enemy attacks you in the areas of your strengths, so it might not be easy to recognize them at first.
Fruit and blessings can come when you are given the chance to peek beneath the surface of someone’s life when they’ve shared a deep concern, reached out in vulnerability, or felt safe enough to be free with you.
How do you find out your generational blessings?
1. Ask God to show you the hidden blessings and callings in your family line.
2. If you discover negative destructive patterns then look to the opposite of what that might be. Learn to flip the negative into a positive outcome.
3. Be open to hear from God in many ways for your answer (dream, vision, small impression, Bible, other people, nature, modern parables like movies, etc.).
4. When you find a positive blessing then nurture it.
Encourage good fruit when you find it
The generational blessing could be anything from a warm pat on the back after a heated moment (generational gift of reconciliation) to simply letting someone in the door first on a rainy day (generational gift of preferring someone else over yourself). Watch for the smallest expression of good fruit and blessing.
“But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” Galatians 5:22–23 (NLV)
You might be thinking you cannot find a single blessing in your family. But sometimes the best fruit is found way out on a limb, requiring risk, prayer and searching.
This year you will no longer be worried about generational curses, because generational blessings will come to the forefront.
In my family generational line, some of us have struggled with learning disabilities. Even though I have gotten lots of healing in my life, I still struggle with dyslexia. As a boy, reading was tough for me, never mind writing. I failed a grade and was put in special learning classes. Although I couldn’t read well, now I consider it a blessing. Why? Because:
• I can totally relate to the many thousands of people who also struggle with reading, writing and public speaking. My story brings hope and sets people free.
• What was hard made me stronger because I had to overcome it through God’s strength and power. God gave me a way to compensate so that I could be successful. Persistence, determination and lots of encouraging people along the way helped.
• Being different than others brought a lot of rejection. God has healed me and I now help others do the same.
What may look like a disadvantage may be the key to blessing, even impacting many generations for God. In spite of dyslexia I have come a very long way and I am now a professional speaker and writer. I still struggle and have to memorize a lot and find workarounds, but I have written seven books and now teach people how to write their own books.
God is raising up wounded warriors and there are many great things in store for you. It is God’s joy to give you more blessings in your family tree. And you have the privilege to search for them. It is exciting to find fruit!
Doug Addison is a prophetic dream interpreter, speaker, writer, Life Coach, and stand-up comedian. Doug travels the world bringing a message of love, hope, and having fun! His unique style helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. Doug is an award-winning author of seven books. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.