Breakdown Comes Before Breakthrough | Doug Addison

Breakdown Comes Before Breakthrough

Breakthrough Green Road Sign with Dramatic Clouds and Sky.Breakdown Comes Before Breakthrough
June 11, 2015

Have you ever felt like right when things start to look up for you then suddenly out of the blue you get hit with something that takes you backwards? Or possibly you hear God about amazing things coming but the opposite seems to be happening in your life? Don’t worry because this is actually quite common.

Just before a breakthrough in your life things will often break down.

Don’t be discouraged if you might be going through a difficult time or things look opposite than you expected. Though it is not God’s will for us, it is common to experience breakdowns prior to getting a major breakthrough in your life. There are many examples throughout the Bible where things looked opposite before a turnaround.

It requires us to step up and contend for whatever it is that we might need.
In the midst of over two years of trials with my health, I continue to contend for my full healing. All that is happening is not from God and there will be full restoration for those who don’t give up.

We have all been on the verge of a breakthrough for the past few years. Things start to happen or begin to change and then it seems to taper off and subside. These are given to us as deposits to what is coming.

There is breakthrough on its way, even if it is incrementally smaller or in different areas of our lives than we have expected to see. We are being challenged in how we think and view situations. God is using these trying times to strengthen and prepare you for what is coming.

Similar to David
I have written about this previously but I feel it is worth repeating for now. We really are in a time similar to David in 1 Samuel 30. David had numerous prophetic promises and had been anointed to be the next king but Saul (the current king) was trying to kill him.

As we do something new, there will be opposition from those who do not understand. David’s breakthrough happened after what did not look much like a blessing at all. In fact, it came after a tremendous amount of loss (1 Samuel 30:6).

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us (Romans 8:18).

Live each day with gratitude and joy while focusing your hope on the future and not the current situation. At the same time, enjoy the present and make the most of every situation. God is about to use what seems like a setback to propel us into our destiny at a greater level. The next few weeks are going to be interesting. Here’s a prayer strategy you can use that will help you gain insight.

Prayer strategy

• God, reveal what promises are for now and what are for later (timing).

• God, show me what the enemy does not want me to see (discernment).

• God, allow me to be seen as You see me, not as the enemy wants me to be seen (favor).

• God, repay and release what was stolen and held back by the enemy (justice).

• God, show me how to practically respond (wisdom).

Don’t give up. Keep your focus on what is ahead and forget the things that lie behind. Each day is a brand new day!

Doug Addison is a prophetic dream interpreter, speaker, writer, Life Coach, and stand-up comedian. Doug travels the world bringing a message of love, hope, and having fun! His unique style helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. Doug is an award-winning author of seven books. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.

36 thoughts on “Breakdown Comes Before Breakthrough

1. D Peterson says:

We’ve been contending for our breakthrough for so many years. So many times we thought this is the moment and then….. I believe God is preparing our character to be able to carry the new assignment. He turns our test into a testimony and our mess into a message. Is11:3 spoke to me about how to focus

2. Deloris Cole says:

Doug thanks for this blog. I feel like things that have been shaken have been shaking. I have also begun to pray for you.

3. Carol says:

Oh my gosh yes! We are in the time similar to David. God spoke to me a few years ago about I Sam. 30:8 that we were the generation that was called to pursue, overtake and without fail recover all. The last few weeks He has been bringing this back to me again. This time I Sam. 30:18-19. David recovered all. And nothing was lacking either great or small, sons or daughters, spoil or anything which they had taken from them David recovered all! Exciting confirmation from you Doug! We all must continue to contend because God has given us His promise of recovering all! Recover means to find and retake possession of. That implies we have to take it by force and by being relentless.

4. Geri R says:

Thank you Doug. That describes this past year for me. Even my health, which usually when attacked, is more easily overcome. Like you, it has been an ongoing process for me since last summer and off an on leading up to it. I received clues from the Lord to listen to Katie Souza CD’s, especially the Soul and the Serpent, and then Bitterness of Soul. She nails it for me! That is what I needed, deeper healing from wounding over the years. I’ve been getting stronger every day,

5. S W says:

Think I need wisdom to know if I need to contend or be contented. Especially after prolonged period of delay to prayers..i wonder if my energy is spent unnecessarily because i didnt learn to be contented or should I continue to contend…it can be confusing. I pray for revelation of His Dream for my life and in that I may discover my uniqueness, my calling, my identity.

6. Valerie says:

Thank you for sharing this timely encouragement today, Doug! Contending with you and yours to seek FIRST His Kingdom and His righteousness- Many Blessings!

7. Joy says:

You’re a rare gem from God, Doug Addison ! I always can rely on whatever the Lord gives you to give me that good ” Ah Hah ” moment that I always need just when I need it ! Blessings to you All ! !

8. Dickens Ochieng Dacho says:

Quite encouraging,kindly help me to pray to God, av not been having a steady family 2 women has left with the children and for God to provide me withdrawal my daily bread Amen.

9. Randy Hoffner says:

I love your prophetic words and all that you do except for the following prayer:

• God, show me what the enemy does not want me to see (discernment).

This prayer equates Satan’s wisdom with the Lord’s. What if there are things that the enemy doesn’t want you to see and the Lord doesn’t want you to see them either?

If Satan would have known everything he would not have crucified the Lord. This prayer may sound good at first, but it is using Satan’s wisdom and knowledge as a basis for what you want your Heavenly Father to show you — and this is not “wisdom”.

Why not simply ask your Father in Heaven to show you all that “He” wants you to see?

God Bless,

Randy Hoffner

10. JOYCE BRUNEAU says:

thank you for so going through lots these days. I feel like giving up.
    but God !

Blessing to you n Linda

11. AMEN / DOUG and may I? I bless my brother with 100% healing from that which he has battled! Bring it/him to full restoration of that condition that has “tried” to overcome him. He is a magnificent man of GOD and it is time for his BREAKTHROUGH! IN JESUS NAME AMEN!

12. Dee Collins says:

Just yesterday I felt a strong leading to read David’s story, and of course, here you are confirming the Word! So thankful that the Lord spoke to me 9 years ago to pray for you and Linda, for InLight Connection, and to learn from you. Blessings upon blessings to you, Friend!

13. Harold Richardson says:

I’ve been experiencing this opposition for the last 12 years of my life concerning my destiny in Christ Jesus! I thank God for you, Man of God, Doug Addison and the prophetic revelation that you carry for the Body of Christ in this NOW Season of Breakthrough! God bless you!

14. larry allison says:

thanks Doug for the word you gave it seems like everytime I get close to being blessed or break through something happens and it doesn’t this is been going on for over a year maybe 2

15. Denise says:

Thanks again for a very right on word. Been contending for a very long time. I believe in what you said. Breakthrough is coming!!!!!! God bless you Doug!

16. Sonja Troy says:

Hi Doug, you are so spot on with the daily words and this blog in particular. Please note that you are a true blessing from God for His body. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Blessings to you and your family!!!!

17. Esther says:

Brother Doug, thank you for the word of encouragement. I am going through the worst and most exhaustive 10 months of my life and praying constantly to God to end it soon. I am battle weary and heartbroken from the abuses and betrayals from family and friends. Many times I just wanted to end it all. Yet, I hang on to life each day because I want to believe that if my God is for me then who can be against me. The LORD brought me here for such a time as this so I will perservere till I have victory in Jesus’ name. Amen

18. Aundrea says:

Came home from work and was praying as I walked around the house. I stopped and said “The Battle is always the most intense before Breakthrough.” I then check your website and see this Word posted. Right On Time. I have also been seeing 8:18 on the time and license plates, Father God gave me Romans 8:18 and this is confirmation. God Bless You Doug.

19. Cynthia Duke says:

Doug and fellow believers- thank you for your prayers in the sale of our home in NC. In fact the times I’ve requested prayer on the sight we get showings. Twice now we’ve been the 1st choice but unfortunately they’ve chosen the other home. School starts 8/12/2015 in Birmingham for our daughters senior year. I’m confident God knows best but to watch my husband prepare to travel 7 hours by car every Monday since he began April 6,2015 is taking its toll. He over slept this am due to fatigue. Please pray our house sell soon and the one we found in Birmingham(a hot market)be available when we can put an offer in. Thank you for this article of encouragement! Your prayers are greatly appreciated!!!

20. Israel Peniel says:

I am contending for God to finally fix and BLESS my marriage. My marriage being blessed is connected to the going forth of my gospel ministry for the Lord. God showed me in a dream back in the eighties that my marriage and my ministry would be blessed. I am holding on today to that dream. Many times it is so hard to hold on, but I remember the dream and what God showed me.
    Doug, thanks for your encouragement.

21. Keisha Johnson says:

It’s about 5:26 am in the morning on April 7, 2016 and I see God in this message. It has been such a roller coaster ride for the past 6 years. I just received another setback and I thought this was the breakthrough I was looking for, it just seemed to go so well and boom, it hit me hard again. I just told the Father, not in my own strength, not in my own strength. I threw up my hands today and said I was done but here goes God through this message in the wee hours of the morning.

22. Adriana says:

This reminds me of the song “Break Every Chain”. Along with breakdown, I believe we must allow the Holy Spirit to help make us vessels fit for God’s purpose in our lives.

23. Deb says:

I feel as though no matter what I try, I just can’t get anywhere. I feel like God’s hand is upon me. I have burnt out 3 times over the last 3 years trying to start up something new and it did not work. I have got angry with God and asked him “What do you want from me?” He is testing my faith and resolve I know this. Living in a country where there are no other family members and I am also divorced. I must learn patience and endurance along with keeping the faith and hope but it is difficult sometimes.

24. Luiza says:

I am reading Deb’s feeling at serial no. 34 above. Four years plus, it seems like there is no God. Dough please pray for my good health and that my reports in next two weeks are normal, that my land is not grabbed but I am able to sell quickly and that my husband who cheated me and disappeared in Sydney kenneth fernandes that God touches him and blesses for all the misery I and my mum are going through evver since he married me in india, cheated and disappeared.