Free Dream Symbols: Water, Rivers, Oceans and Ice | Doug Addison

Free Dream Symbols: Water, Rivers, Oceans and More

Dream Word Written On Beach Sand - Positive Thinking ConceptFree Dream Symbols: Water, Rivers, Oceans and Ice

Hey Dreamers! People seem to love my blogs on dreams. So, here are some of my favorite water symbols to help you interpret dreams. If you are remembering your dreams, you are on the right track. The next step is to write them down and figure out what God is saying through them.

Symbols
Symbols do change from dream to dream, and from dreamer to dreamer. But there are common themes that you can apply to your dreams about water. Here is what I have found:

Water, oceans, beaches, rivers, ice
Water can represent aspects of spiritual life, while oceans often represent humanity. Beaches can symbolize people, because multitudes are compared to the grains of sand on a beach (see for example Genesis 22:17). But the beach can also represent a time of recreation, especially if you live near it.

Rivers can point to moves of God and it is important to recognize the context of the water. Is it moving fast or is it barely moving, almost still?

Ice and snow can represent things of the Spirit that are being saved for later.

Swimming
Swimming in water can represent the spiritual aspect of life. Although swimming can be good, notice the context of the water: is it clear or dirty, fast flowing or stagnant, or shallow or deep?

Context is key
The context of how you are swimming in water will help you understand more about what is happening with your spiritual life. Let’s look at context using swimming as our example.

If you are swimming in clear water, it means that your spiritual life is refreshing and life-producing. Swimming in dirty water indicates that some issues might need to be addressed or healed. If you are swimming in fast-flowing water, get ready for things to accelerate and get really exciting. Swimming in stagnant water indicates that you may be stuck and need to start moving again. If the water is shallow, this indicates that you might be too comfortable and need a challenge. Swimming in deep water shows that you are maturing spiritually and possibly taking more risks.

Of course, remember that these are generalizations.

More dream symbols
Here are some more symbols you might have encountered:

Boat:              organizations or personal job or ministry, depending on the type of boat
Bridge:           transition, season change
Dam:              things being held back, power
Fish:               sport, people, gift to help others, outreach-oriented
Floods:           major move of the Spirit, cleansing of old ways, warning of disaster
Ice:                 move of the Spirit that will come later, slippery time
Lighthouse:    spiritual guidance, keeps you from danger
Ocean, sea:    large move of the Spirit, humanity, great influence, many people
Oyster:            situation that may produce a spiritual blessing
Rain:               blessing, refreshing time in the spirit, unclear time, move of God
Swimming:     move in the spirit, recreation, spiritual life
Water:             the spirit, spiritual life, Holy Spirit, the spiritual realm, refreshment

Next steps
I would challenge you to keep a dream journal or a pad of paper next to your bed to write down your dreams right away. When you encounter a dream with some aspect of water, ask God to help you with the interpretation and use these key symbols just to start. You can find out more about dreams in my book Understand Your Dreams Now: Spiritual Dream Interpretation.

Keep dreaming!

doug-sig

Doug Addison is a prophetic dream interpreter, speaker, writer, Life Coach, and stand-up comedian. Doug travels the world bringing a message of love, hope, and having fun! His unique style helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. Doug is an award-winning author of seven books. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California.

41 thoughts on “Free Dream Symbols: Water, Rivers, Oceans and More

1. Valerie Bagarozza says:

Twice this year had dream of swimming in pools water was clear ,blue and clean. Large pools also deep. One was a friends pool one was mine. After reading your say on waters. I feel God is moving in his Spirit in me largely. Do you agree?

• Jill says:

I deam of large swimming pools, like olympic size swimming pools that are clear, blue and clean there is no movement. Do you think this means the same as the above gentelmans dream?

• Daisy says:

I just had the exact same dream last night.

Olympic sized pool, clear, still waters and I was splashing my foot in it while a friend had her own pool next to me that was a lot smaller in size.

I looked up at the sun as it was radiating so much that I was squinting as I was looking at all the light and I instinctly knew the Son wanted me to go swimming; to refresh myself but it seemed I was afraid to since I was only putting my feet in at this time and started splashing; almost practicing to swim.

2. Christy says:

Just to encourage you Doug
    I use your Understanding Your Dreams Now as a manual for all of my dreams after purchasing that book it opened up more wisdom and quick understanding of what God was wanting to make me understand there is a definite anointing on this BOOK!!!!!
    Thank you again and again!!

3. Ami says:

I keep dreaming I’m riding a bike with a basket all over, towns, trails, I come upon obstacles, and then I can somehow change them in my dream and I’m able to pass them. Its been recurring for the past couple months ???

4. Rose says:

Thank you for this post. I’ve seen floods. The one thing that I’ve never understood was the snow and ice in my dreams. Doug, your revelation and help mean so much and make such a difference. I enjoy sending your posts to others who receive them with great joy.

5. Tim says:

I had a dream that I was with a group of guys (felt like the deciples), it was more like present day times. Jesus was arrested and Soldiers or Big intimidating guys were surrounding Him. He was leaning on a car and was thirsty. At a distance I watched and felt nervous, then I got a feeling of Power to intimidate the soldiers.. So I brought Jesus a cup of water to drink, and He drank it fast then gave me it back, (cup).
    This dream has been on my mind for weeks, I want to know what He is showing me.

6. Esther says:

What if I dreamed of tsunami? I saw children on a festival tried to hold on to one pole to stay alive from tsunami but they got overcome by floods. Then I was at home, the tsunami came, I got sprinkled but not overcame by it because of the walls. And I saw underwear scattered around. That’s really weird dream.

7. Mary says:

Last water dream I had, I was taken by surprise when I fell into a pool of water I didn’t know was there as I crossed a room. Soaked, I stepped out and began to wring the water out of my dress The main thing I reflect on is that I didn’t notice the pool of water, didn’t know it was there in my path.

8. Darlene says:

What does a water fall mean…….I had a dream walking through a place that had bamboo trees and the sun was shine bright through the trees as I was walking I came up on a beautiful water fall and a big tall gray rock and as I came around the corner it was a beautiful place to sit but I saw a black leopard or cougar sitting there watching her two club in the water playing and I stop back up against the huge rock and said to myself how can I get a blanket or quilt to throw over the leopard or cougar so I could run the clubs were black until the sun light hit them then it was a silver black then I woke up.

9. Deborah says:

I had a dream I was standing in the ocean, and there was a beautiful rock formation coming up out of the water in the shape of a arch and every time the waves came and hit the reef beautiful precious stones would spray up on it and coat the archway. I dove into the water to see where it was coming from and all of these beautiful amethyst and aquamarines were in the water. It was a awesome dream!

10. JM says:

I just dreamed last night I had to walk through a thick green swamp and an attractive man was helping me walk through it, taking my hand. Some parts were deep, the swamp flowed through streets and there was houses along the sides of the swamp. I’m thinking it could have been from a flood. I was uncertain whether I would step on a loose spot and sink. I also felt guilty to have been helped by this man because I was married 🙁

11. mark says:

Been having dreams of flooding, the water was clear and not moving. And I could see the road underwater going across to the other side. Any message in that?

12. Robin Hundley says:

I recently had a dream befor te new year :

I dreamed I was on a beach and finding clams . Some of the these clams I dug out of the sand. I open these clams and would take out the pearls. I found all sizes and different color pearls . I hand a large quantity of pearls.

After I open the clams for the pearls I release these clams back in the water. Some dug themselves back in the sand and some swam out to sea when the ocean tides rolled in

13. Billie says:

The last dream I had I was at the beach. I was walking toward my husband who was at the top of the stairs to get to our room because I was going to shower and get cleaned up. At the last minute I decided to go into the water. Two people I didn’t know spoke to me about something on me (a string of sorts) I looked but grabbed it and proceeded to the ocean. When I got about waist deep I saw a waterspout/funnel. It was still bright outside, not stormy but the waterspout was horizontal not verticle. It was similar to being inside a wave that surfers experience only this one had no opening. I just keep thinking, it’s got to end sometime and “spit” me out somewhere. I was not afraid in the dream. I have been having many dreams in the last six months.

14. Pingback: Doug Addison – water dreams and symbolism | Samuel Company Mark 2

15. Jen says:

A few months ago my kids father had left me for someone else, he also left his kids as well and just cut us out of his life for a woman who is nothing like his expectations in a woman.My mum and i have had dreams where his begging her to please make me see that his really sorry for what he done and insists that we are still his family.I dreamt of someone whom i know who lives close to him telling me “apparently his says his sorry for what he did to you” and next thing in the dream was him telling his new girlfriend that it isn’t working between them,i saw her walk away crying and he drove off into a dark road…What does this all mean???I fear that there’s trouble

16. Jen says:

So sorry,it has nothing to do with water etc but I’ve tried looking for answers but no one seems to know or understand…Please can anyone help me???

17. Jamie says:

Had a weird dream where every scenario was like I was standing in a shallow puddle of water (1/8-1/4 inch deep) that followed me. the weirdest part was the water was flowing. It came out of nowhere, flowed under my feet the disappeared. flow was from my left to my right.

18. Stephanie says:

Dreamed about taking people to the end of the river in a white boat water was crystal clear the river was in the middle of beautiful houses and thick green plush grass , trees and beautiful flowers. I wanted to stay but I had to go back to get others . Next the dreamed the lake open up and i was taking people through on dry bricks did not stay on the other side had to go back and get other people again.

19. Ross says:

I have dream of a strange child looking at me while she walks peacefully in a very clear calm river without her feet getting wet . I also see a nun who stop and look at me as she was trying to say something to me. What does this dream means to me.

20. christie says:

I have been married for 3yrs and have always had eyes for my husband only. I recently started a new job and am attracted to my co-worker, infact we may be in love with each other. I love my husband dearly and would never cheat on him but at times my feelings for this new guy makes me feel like that’s exactly what am doing.

I dreamt recently that my coworker and I were at the beach, he was in the water swimming and wanted me to jump in, I’m not a good swimming so I told him no I’m scared. He insisted and told me he would catch me so I jumped, he caught me and we swam together. What does this dream mean?

21. Derey Cate Cabalbal says:

Many times i dream about water. Me and my family got swim there. Sometimes i dream in the water i swim and theres a snake and got to bite me but i fight. Whats the meaning of that.

22. anjily says:

I had a dream that I enter a round pool full of sand but as I walk through them , they change to very clear water and than I start swimming even though I do not know how to swim , and suddenly I became scared of drawing and I left the pool and it turn to sand again .

23. colleen says:

Hi Doug,

I had a dream of 2 crystal clear wells filled to the brim with spring water in my back yard. The wells were coming out of the ground and were up to my waist in height. I As I was standing looking at the wells my ex mother in law appeared and started helping herself to my possessions which were piled and stacked like a wall behind the wells. She often came to my home and took whatever she wanted when I was married to her son. Before I dreamt this dream I was praying and asked God To help me start a business supplying water as our country is in serious drought. Can you help me interpret this dream?

24. Anita says:

Hi I had a dream that i was standing next to a big river. It was two rivers becoming one. The water was flowing very strong but steady. Not with noise or anything. I was amazed that the river was flowing. I told other people who were standing there that i cannot believe that the river was flowing since i was walking there the other day and the river had no water. It was dry. There was only sand. There river was very deep. If i was standing on the dry sand i could not reach the top with my hand. But now it was in full flow and i was just so amazed and excited. Hope you can help me understand it.

25. Julie says:

I had two dreams which are reoccurring. I find myself in an airport. Im standing outside in a long line that isn’t moving and im concerned about being too late to check in and make my flight. Or most recently, I found myself in a room at the AP with lots of people I don’t know, somehow I missed check in, I realized I have to go back to check in, I was concerned about being late.2nd, I didn’t realize this was a dream until the other night, when I woke up, turned the light on and saw by blankets undisturbed. This nightmare is so very real and in this experience Im terrified! I am sleeping in my bed, I feel my covers are being slid off me.

26. Marites Abadiano says:

I dreamed that our backyard turned into a sea with large blocks of ice floating like icebergs, the color of the water is light brown. There was a man with me but i cant remember who and i was so afraid because i dont know how to swim so i used the ice to float. And after how hours of floating,the ice are gone and i tried to stand up and realized that the water is just over my knees. What’s the meaning of my dream?

27. Okechukwu says:

I had a dream where I am on top of ocean looking for whom to show me how to swim, and I saw many of them ready to taught me.

28. bernice page says:

I had 2 flood dreams in one week. One was at a home i grew up in as a child. Im 48 the other dream was my job hallway .each dream i was trying to avoid the waters

• Admin Pam says:

Bernice,

Water usually represents the Holy Spirit or spiritual life… It sounds like God is rushing into your bloodline to bring Godly transition into your workplace. Pam

29. Robyn says:

Huge amount of water rushing against and over the back of my house. Removed shingles damaged ceiling, pushed in part of sliding glass door but I pushed it back, took cats. Husband hardly noticed the chaos from his recliner. Merchant in the back yard after flood quickly subsided and husband made a purchase on the sabbath. Please pray for me.

30. April says:

Idreamed my husband and I were swimming in a swimming pool with clear water.
    Then we had to walk along the edge of the water that stood completely still but we had to walk past another family very carefully to cross it. What does that mean?

31. magni says:

Recently i had dreamed that my front right teeth has enlarging slowly & slowly and within a span of time it takes its initial position, n whatever things I’ve touched in my dream were broken down suddenly, as i was thinking of that in my dream that why this happens to me n put my hands in a bowl of water i saw orange-red sun in it n whenever someone near to me it goes disappear so i request them all to leave me alone for a while after that when the sun again appears i asked why all this happens to me he replied “i’ve done something wrong”, as i was thinking on that sun lost into me n i woke up..what does it mean Pam?

32. Justice says:

This week I had a dream it was the third part in a series of the same dream, in 2005 I dreamed of a killer whale in a bathtub he barely fit, I knew it was content only because it had no other choice and I said it can’t grow in there it has to be in the ocean to grow… a few weeks later I dreamed I was kissing that same whale right on the face with adoration. this last week (november 2016) I had a repeat of the whale dream and I saw sea creatures lined up in two groups some were whales but they formed 2 lines and they were waiting on something. I appeared in another place around the area, (the back I think) except there was a sea next to me and this killer whale swam out from where it was being kept it was huge, shiny and beautiful, the water deep dark blue. I ran inside and told a woman a whale is loose in the water and she said “He probably let him loose” speaking about the main boss. I then ran back to the whale I knew it was about to head into the ocean because it was free and I knew it was going quickly because it was free and had been through trauma while inside that place (it was something like a sea world). it looked in my eyes with a connection and like it was saying thank you. (dream over) when I first had this dream a month or two later I had brought in one of my sons friends who became part of our family, I never knew if this dream had something to do with him, or with me? can anyone help me with this 3 part dream?

33. Gonolo says:

I dreamed I was entering the bathroom, and on the other side it was a swimming pool.
    The water was flowing gently and the swimming pool was full of water.