7 Common Spiritual Dream Meanings | Doug Addison

7 Common Spiritual Dream Meanings

Concept of reading. Man's hand holding magic book with falling letters animals and other objects from this book. Concept of dreaming.

One amazing way that God can speak to us is through our dreams at night. Unfortunately, most people don’t understand them. Many people are wondering, ”What do my dreams mean?” After interpreting thousands of dreams for people, I began to notice patterns. Several dream themes seemed to be common in many of the people I came in contact with. Dreams like flying, falling, teeth coming loose, running or being chased, having a baby, showing up naked, going to the bathroom in public … recognize any of these? Chances are you have had one or more of these common dream themes.

As I give meanings to some of these common dreams, realize that I’m generalizing. There may be more details to your dream, so this is only the basic meaning for most of them. The following are the most common dreams.

Flying

By far, flying dreams are the most common. Dreams that involve flying without the use of an airplane are usually very positive (depending on context). They indicate you have a high degree of creativity, you have the ability to rise above circumstances, and you are possibly maturing spiritually.

Teeth coming loose or falling out

This type of dream reveals that you are in need of direction. Teeth chew food and make the food useful for the body. Symbolically, teeth chew the Word or teaching of God, so it can be digested and made useful through application. Chewing, or thinking about something, brings deeper understanding. That’s why teeth coming loose or falling out means that you’re in need of direction, wisdom, or advice.

Baby or pregnant

Both men and women can have this type of dream. Most of the time, it is not a literal dream but symbolic. It’s referring to birthing something new into your life. It could be a new job, a gift, an anointing, creativity, or even a clever invention.

Chased or running

More often than not, dreams that involve running can be frightening. This type of dream usually represents one of two situations–you are either running from something in your life, or you are being chased down by your own destiny, and it’s trying to catch up with you. Either situation can seem scary, because they both require major changes. This type of dream is a strong indication that there’s some calling on your life that you have yet to fulfill. Why would something evil try to prevent you from this? It is because you have something great to fulfill in your life for God.

Falling

Dreams in which you are falling indicate that you are out of control in your life. Falling can also suggest that you may need to let go and take some risk. Most people who have falling dreams also have flying dreams. If you’re having a repeated falling dream, this indicates you need peace in your life. Once the peace manifests, you can get the creative juices flowing and fly again.

Late

Showing up late for anything in a dream is a warning to not miss what is coming. It is just making you aware of something approaching. So when you wake up, ask God to help you catch whatever it is.

Not able to run, move, or speak

Whenever we are unable to run or move in a dream, it indicates that something is trying to stop us or hold us back in life. This interpretation can also be applied to dreams when we are not able to speak or cry out for help. This can indicate there are dark forces working against you. But, the good news is that there must be something great for you to fulfill, and that is why you are getting so much resistance.

Next time you have one of these common dreams, you will be much more prepared to not only understand it but also how to respond to it.

*This is one of the all-time most popular articles on my blog, so enjoy this one from the archives and let me know in the comments if you’ve ever had one of these 7 dreams.

doug-sig

P.S. Wouldn’t you like to be able to interpret your own dreams, and maybe even help other people know what God is speaking to them about in their dreams? For an in depth and thorough dream interpretation training, consider enrolling in my Dream Crash Course.

If reading books is more your style and you want to dive deeper into dream interpretation, you’re going to love my book, Understand Your Dreams Now.

Doug Addison is a prophetic speaker, author and coach. He is known for his Daily Prophetic Words, Spirit Connection webcast, podcast, and blog. Doug’s message of love, hope and having fun reaches people around the world! His powerfully, positively funny style of teaching and coaching helps open people to discover their destiny and experience God’s supernatural love and power. He and his wife Linda live in Los Angeles, California where he is impacting the arts and entertainment and media industries.

31 thoughts on “7 Common Spiritual Dream Meanings

1. Julie M Ottaway says:

Lately, I am late and keep running into obstacles. I have to go back and find my purse before I can meet my daughter. I cannot find my way out of the place I am in to find my purse or get to my destination. I go up stairs, down stairs and even climb over steep places that are perilous to find my way. I seem to never get out of the maze I have found my self in..

all of my life dreams. I can levitate and I can breathe underwater

2. Benita Garnett says:

Thank you for this. I had two of the dreams you mentioned. !st one is being chased by people who wanted to kill me. I escaped each time unscathed and in the end of the dream. I said I could move up north, but I won’t. I will stay in the south with a new identity. The 2nd dream was being late for work. In this dream I was suppose to come back to work at 1pm. I had an unexpected visitor(who I knew) come to the house(I go home on my lunch break) and I told them I had to be to work at 1p. The time on the stove was 12:50pm. When I left it was almost one o clock. Yet, I kept seeing clocks and the time stayed on 12:55pm giving me 5 more minutes to get to work. There were things out of the ordinary to prevent me from going back to work. The route I normally take was a newly built neighborhood, which wasn’t there before. Each time I came to a detour a clock will show up with 12:55pm.

3. Lydia says:

Hi,
    This is Lydia.. Yes, I have had many flying dreams & some falling dreams.. As a matter of fact I just had a falling dream 3 nights ago!!
    Bless You!
    Thank you!
    ?

4. james benjamin says:

Have had a dream where I was flying

I was in a room like a class with people inside and outside were a lot of people too. Then josephe prince walked in. I saw and was so excited. I discovered it was I and one lady that knew her among the crowd. He went out and came in again then I went after him. I noticed the location changed. This time he was sitted and I was squating close to him and my head on his laps and I was telling him about God’ call on my life. He got up and prayed for me abd I was slain when I got up the whole place changed again, the place was filled with trees and river . Five forces came to attack me I defeated them and another five came again I defeated them. People were trying to cross the river. Folding up their trousers and women backing their babies to cross. I discovered I started flying without wings by passing others so fast then I woke up

5. Brenda Crawford says:

Hi Doug,
    I have had a dream of pushing a baby stroller and was
    having another baby and went into labor. What does
    this mean?

6. lisa says:

Quick dream : just a picture of the brothers that are in the country band called by their name Perry
    The consensus in the dream is they were indeed the brothers but they weren’t one of them had a beard and there were not real some kind of statue they had the color cream…same night different dreams one after the other
    Next Pres.Obama is standing before the brothers but this time they were real..like Pres. Obama was presented before them for some reason it seemed he was a little anxious

7. Loralee Thiessen says:

I have had flying dreams, usually someone is after me trying to catch hold of my foot and pull me back to the ground; or dreams where I’m trying to jump really high away from a persuer, sometimes being successful after a few tries. I had a lot of these dreams as a kid. I’ve also had a lot of those dreams where I have to go to the bathroom in public. I was hoping you were going to give an explanation to this one:) I can probably guess what this means though.

8. Susana says:

I had a dream last night with my son- and a demon started manifesting. I ran right up to him and bond the demon and commanded it to leave. Then all of a sudden my son and I were sitting and holding hands and a lady came into the room and asked my son if he wanted tea.

9. Mike says:

I had a dream where I was flying towards a big gate, possibly from a church. I was slow though and somebody who was using his feet instead was able to enter before me. It did not feel like a race though. In fact I was mostly irritated as to why the other man took the physically more demanding approach.

10. Nikita says:

I often look through your blogs about dreams cause I’ve been trying to make sense of the dreams I’ve had since I was a little girl and have wanted to get a thorough interpretation cause I know it will give me clarity and direction. The first dreams I can remember I was always running from something and I remember being afraid often making myself awake to stop the fear but it was like they would be recurring dreams and I would be running into different difficult areas to get away like slipping through a mailbox until finally I got tired of being afraid to sleep so in the dream I discovered I could make things happen and I went after what was chasing me. I never seen anything I only felt there was a presence. I ended up chasing it back to my early childhood home in my room to this hole in the ground where there was a lightbulb. I never saw anything but me and I never had a dream again about being chased. I also have had many dreams about flying. After running in my old childhood neighborhood I remember coming around the curve and taking flight into the sky and suddenly I was surrounded by a light blinding like the sun and then I awoke. I also dreamt of going to heaven and seeing no one I knew and I felt bad so I know I had asked God, though I didn’t see him, if I could go back to earth to get those I knew to the route to heaven and when I did there was no one left so I began flying over the roads looking for anyone to come go with me to heaven. I, too, have had dreams of my teeth falling out, being naked in public, having sometimes many babies at once numerous times but twice I’ve actually named the child (Coral Rose was one and Max was the other), and I’ve had an experience that I didn’t think was a dream at all of where I was afraid to go to sleep laying in complete darkness with this extreme fear and sense that I would have a nightmare so I just laid there trying to get the feeling to pass when all of a sudden the room grew pitch dark and cold as I stared at the light from my bedroom window in terror. I heard an eerie sound hover over me and I freaked out but I couldn’t move or speak. I remember my mother telling me there’s power in the name of Jesus and if I said the name 3 times whatever was bothering me would leave so in my mind I shouted Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!!! And, immediately, I was released and I darted out the bed into my mothers room. It’s interesting to read about the common dreams and their meanings but I feel I need some serious interpretation one on one!

11. Hi Doug
    I have had 2 dreams were I had a dark presence try to cover my eyes and choke me to were I couldn’t speak the first one was I was in our indoor riding arena and I saw some gem stone that an angel had left and I was looking into the gemstone because there was something in it and then the dark force was trying to blind me and choke me to were I couldn’t call for help

12. Lori says:

My name is Lori. Yes I actually had what i called a satanic attack back in 2007-8(( not sure of year) in which I was being suffocated and restrained and couldn’t move or speak. It was so real. I tried so hard to move and wake myself up but couldn’t. I remember seeing a light under the doorway. Then I actually heard satans audible voice say my name 3 times. It scared the heck out of me. I don’t know how I was able to speak but I heard my audible voice saying: God help me! God help me! And then I woke up. Needless to say I didn’t want to go back to sleep. There is more to that attack in the beginning. I would love to send it to you if I could. At that time I was going to bible study and told the lecturer about it and she said she would see if some of the ladies would come over and go through the rooms of the house and pray but one of the core group leaders, she was from Africa, said that wouldn’t be wise because she had seen a lot of bad things happen in her country and she didn’t want anything to happen to me or my daughter. So they prayed for us to get our own home. (Still waiting for that)! But today, I am wondering if it was prophetic and that maybe if God has something really important for me to do. I feel the enemy was trying to prevent me from speaking. It would really be nice to have someone to talk to about all this and clear it up for me. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share this. Lori

13. rose jean says:

I have a dream last night, i cannot speak.. in my dream i am trying to command my bother .. im saying in my mind ” obey! In the mighty name of Jesus” i want to say that but my mouth cant move, im forcing to speak ..

14. collleen says:

Question
    Greeting.
    I would like to know what the dream mean I was in a big house myself my mother and sister .And in the big room were we was I what the time as I look to the clock on the 10.20am .When I really woke up and went to the kitchen the time on the clock was the same time I had in my dream.

15. Tina says:

I had a dream that I was pregnant and immediately had a set of twins that were already toddlers when they were born. I assume this means I will birth 2 similar things at the same time that are already somewhat established….

16. Lisa says:

I had a nightmare while napping in the middle of the day. I was attacked by an angry Muslim man about being a woman, he knocked me down, sat on top of me, and began to slap me all while I tried to fight him off. A nun came running down the street towards us, and he fled. I was very shaken when I woke up. Any thoughts ? And no I am neither Catholic, nor Muslim.

17. Ocheche says:

I have a lot of flying dreams and I get scared it means something negative. I also have falling dreams and the ones in which I’m being chased and I wake up breathing hard. Thanks Doug for the explanation of these dreams.
    There’s this dream I always have. I find myself in the midst of my friends from my high school days and it’s like we are having examinations. I’m not sure what it means but, someone said it means backwardness. I also eat in some dreams.

18. Marcela says:

God bless you brother, The dream that I had is not related to the ones you posted, but I hope you don’t mind. In my dream I had a white blouse, and my daughter Xochitl, was going to eat an avocado so I asked her if she needed help in removing the seed of the avocado, she said “yes”, so I got a big long knife and I got the seed of the avocado with the knife right in the middle and the seed jumped into my white blouse from my neck & it went down my chest but like zig zag from one side to the other side and it stained my blouse light green and when you look at the blouse it will turn a beautiful blue, so I was very sad cause my blouse was stained, I removed my blouse to wash it, there where about 12 wash boards in a circle, One was empty. I ran to get the wash board, but some lady got it before me , there was 12 circles and in each circle were 12 wash boards and all of them were busy. I notice my 1 year old granddaughter’s diaper was dirty. I took it off to change her, but had no clean diaper. I was looking around to see what I had to put on her, suddenly I saw her running around a stage naked from the bottom. I got my dirty white blouse, and put that on her as a diaper, with the stain inside. I then awoke from my dream. Thank you brother, and God bless you

19. Mary says:

Hi Doug, I had lots of dreams of seeing babies in my dreams, also I had a dream ofvmy self sleeping on a mattress and I woke up and had blood stain on the mattress in the dream, then I woke up and in my spirit I heard now you can get pregnant, last night , was the first time I dreamed I couldn’t move my legs, arms, in the dream, then I also seen 2 famous singers in my dream man and woman from the 90,s,James Ingram and patty Austin what does this mean, but I remember saying 2 myself it’s God stretching your faith

• Admin Pam says:

Mary,

God is birthing something new such as a job, gifting, idea in you. You may be feeling discouraged or hopeless, which is why God is repeating the dreams for you so you can grab a hold of the faith and let it grow in you.

Dreams are like parables or metaphors. You have to interpret them in context. Doug has 2 great free e-books that will help you being to understand how God speaks. http://dougaddison.com/store/free/

Blessing you to grab hold of the new faith and expectation that God is birthing in you. Pam

20. joe says:

pls am confused is it normal for me to still be attending my former secondary school in the dream y in life am battling with admission is it normal

21. Sherry says:

What do you do with dreams of witches and a large bear and saber tooth tiger, are getting together to come after the family. Tiger said he’s been after this family for a long time, lets team up (bear)? Dream of a witch, with her female followers going to pike through a women because she said she couldn’t follow the witch any longer. They get their pikes ready and to kill her, but Jesus shows up and says, Enough! They disappear, but the pikes are still floating in mid air. Jesus holds a gold cylynder box out, and says that it wasn’t supposed to be opened again. Wasn’t for now, he already dealt with that and it wasn’t supposed to be opened again, or for this time. He winded it shut, and handed the box to my son, it started to open up again, but my son closed it. These dreams are all within a few days of each other. Any thoughts?

22. Stephanie Eubanks says:

I ordered the Dream Catcher Course. I am going to listen to it when I am alone because I do not want to miss a word in the message of understanding. Since I received a prophesy over my life about fighting some years ago I have been struggling to this day. After listening to the live webcast tonight about the winds of change I am believing God will bring change in my life. Presently, I am currently with my brother and his wife because a tree fell on the power line at my house which I am selling. During this time I dreamed about the KKK which I dreamt about 2 other occasions, but this time my brother and sister in law was in the house my mother gave me. I remember some significant things about the dream, but what concerned me the most was they did not seem fazed about their presence. One of the members broke a window and tried to get in while another one was looking in another window. Then I woke up feeling the same way in my dream baffled, confused, disappointed, now I feeling like they did not care what was happening in the Dream and even now. I am believing God will order my steps, but in doing so open my ears, heart, and mind to his way in this situation and others. I pray in the name of Jesus…

• Admin Nikki says:

That’s wonderful you ordered the course, I’m sure you will get a lot of knowledge from it! Keep up the good work!

Nikki, InLight Connection

23. misty says:

I keep dreaming I’m levitating by evil forces and start to pray to make it stop but it keeps my voice from working . I finally wake up and it felt so real . It’s always in my house and my husband says ” not again ” in the dream as I’m levitating to the ceiling scared . What does this mean ? My body feels like I really am levitating. I’m scared I pray . Please help ! Been 2 nights in a row and just woke up from one .

• Nikki, InLight Connection says:

Thanks for sharing Misty. I would pray for protection and pray the blood of Jesus over you. The enemy wants to scare you and make you feel out on control, but God is in control. Ask the Holy Spirit to fill your home and your dreams and see how they change. If the continue and get stronger, or even now if you’d like, find a good ministry around you that you trust to get prayer. God loves you so much and is so much more powerful than the enemy. Bless you.

24. Clifton says:

I dreamed I was chase by a lion but through someone else(unknown woman) view we on a big lawn yard with my cars on the premises but there was another unknown woman who immediately change to a lion and it starts following us and coming at us and we jump over the concrete slaps and the lion does the same as well so we jump into the yard again so did lion as well but I didn’t feel afraid at all so ran off jump on the cars ran on the cars and jump off running straight towards a stranger looks like two to 3 rich gentleman as I ran straight to this guy and he slightly moved out of my way and the girl standing behind him is the 1st unknown woman so I jump over her and the lion ran towards her and put both claws on her chest and ripped it off her so I woke up.